Fifty year olds have a good chance of living another forty years.
This is an assumption that can be a fact if certain life rules are applied. There are simple and free things you can do to increase the likelihood that you will live into your nineties. What if the secret to living long and well is no longer a secret and is now in your virtual mailbox?
Ikigai, the Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life gives you ten rules to live well.
1. Stay Active; Don’t retire- Keep doing things of value, bringing beauty or utility to others and shaping the world around you.
2. Take it Slow- Being in a hurry is inversely proportional to quality of life.
3. Don’t Fill Your Stomach- Eat a little less than your hunger demands.
4. Surround Yourself with Good Friends- Friends are for confiding worries, getting advice and having fun.
5. Get in Shape for Your Next Birthday- Exercise releases hormones that make us feel happy.
6. Smile- Never forget what a privilege it is to be in the here and now in a world so full of possibilities.
7. Reconnect with Nature- Return to it often to recharge your batteries.
8. Give Thanks- Spend a moment every day giving thanks (to everything that brightens your day) then watch your stockpile of happiness grow.
9. Live in the Moment- Stop regretting the past and fearing the future.
10.Follow Your Ikigai- There is a passion inside you, a unique talent that gives meaning to your days and drives you to share the best of yourself.